Does every change to my property require a Certificate of Appropriateness?
All proposed changes to the exterior of your property requires consideration by the Preservation Office and are regulated by the City’s Zoning Ordinance. The Zoning Ordinance calls out the use of the Secretary of the Interior's Standards for Rehabilitation. These Standards are used to determine the appropriateness of treatments for historic homes. Maintenance to your property is not restricted as long as it does not involve any changes to the structure. Some examples of changes that are subject to city regulations include replacing windows, siding, exterior doors, adding shutters, removing masonry, adding or removing porches, railings, chimneys, removing historic architectural trims, and adding architectural elements not original to the house.

Show All Answers

1. What is a Certificate of Appropriateness?
2. Is there a fee for a Certificate of Appropriateness?
3. Why is a Certificate of Appropriateness needed?
4. When Is a Certificate of Appropriateness needed?
5. How do I obtain a Certificate of Appropriateness?
6. What needs to be included when submitting a Certificate of Appropriateness?
7. What happens to my application after it is submitted?
8. May I paint my house any color I want?
9. Do I need permission to perform ordinary maintenance?
10. Does every change to my property require a Certificate of Appropriateness?
11. May I put an addition on my historic property?
12. Where can I receive help designing an addition for my house?
13. If I have more questions, whom should I talk to?