When Is a Certificate of Appropriateness needed?
A Certificate of Appropriateness (COA) is required for all proposed exterior alterations, new construction or demolition made to the exterior faced visible from the street or public right-of-way. If you are performing routine maintenance, a COA is not needed. When replacing or restoring, it is helpful to remember the phrase “like for like.” This means the replacement materials should be as close as possible in design, composition and size to the original materials. You should also read over the guidelines the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards and Illustrated Guidelines for the Rehabilitation of Historic Buildings that apply to your historic structure. Obtaining a COA usually coincides with the need to obtain a building permit. Please check with the Historic Preservation Officer to find out if the project you are undertaking will need a COA and/or a building permit. The Historic Preservation Office does not monitor interior changes or alterations, but strongly encourages property owners to maintain interior historic features. Maintaining historic interiors enhances the historic value of the house.

Show All Answers

1. What is a Certificate of Appropriateness?
2. Is there a fee for a Certificate of Appropriateness?
3. Why is a Certificate of Appropriateness needed?
4. When Is a Certificate of Appropriateness needed?
5. How do I obtain a Certificate of Appropriateness?
6. What needs to be included when submitting a Certificate of Appropriateness?
7. What happens to my application after it is submitted?
8. May I paint my house any color I want?
9. Do I need permission to perform ordinary maintenance?
10. Does every change to my property require a Certificate of Appropriateness?
11. May I put an addition on my historic property?
12. Where can I receive help designing an addition for my house?
13. If I have more questions, whom should I talk to?