Being homeless is not a crime. Resting, standing and sleeping in public areas is not illegal. Homeless people enjoy the same rights and protections as others and are allowed to be in public areas.
- Public libraries are open to all residents, including those experiencing homelessness. No library patron is allowed to be disruptive, and disruptive behavior should be reported to library staff.
- The activity becomes unlawful if illegal behavior or actions are taken. For example:
- Possessing an open container of alcohol
- Public urination or defecation
- Aggressive panhandling
- Other prohibited or illegal activities.
If you observe anyone engaging in illegal behaviors, please call the Police Department’s non-emergency line at 972-547-2700.