FD: Fire Code
Fire Codes, Amendments, and Administrative Rulings
The McKinney Fire Department’s Fire Marshal’s Office currently utilizes the 2018 International Fire Code (2018 IFC) with locally adopted amendments.
Where NFPA standards are referenced, the FMO will review submittals to the most current published standard.
Please see our Developer / Contractor Guides for additional references to assist you with your project.
Commonly Referenced Codes
- Free access to the International Code Council’s entire I-Code family.
Click on the "free view" tab under the specific code in which you would like to view.
- Free Access to the National Fire Protection Association Codes and Standards.
Find the standard that is applicable in the provided list to access the code reference.
Please note that the McKinney Fire Marshal’s Office does not review plans for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act or the Texas Accessibility Standards.
From time to time the Fire Marshal may provide formalized rulings and interpretations on various fire code provisions. These administrative rulings, interpretations, and information notices can be found below and help to clarify the intent of a specific standard or fire code section or to provide clarification or notification of new or existing provisions.
- 2018-04 Fire Alarm Maintenance Permit - PDF
- 2015-01 Approved Fire Alarm Communication Methods - PDF
- 2013-01 Visual and Audible Occupant Notification Requirements - PDF
Fire Sprinkler and Fire Underground
- 2016-01 Wet Pipe Air Venting Requirements - PDF
- 2011-01 Residential Fire Sprinkler Systems Insulation Requirements - PDF
- 2010-02 Replacement of Leaking, Painted, Corroded, Damaged or Loaded Sprinkler Heads - PDF
- 2010-04 Back Flow Prevention Assemblies Forward Flow Test - PDF
- 2008-07 Water Supply Requirements for Buildings Provided with Standpipes - PDF