FD: Work for Us
We are currently accepting applications for lateral Firefighter/Paramedic positions.
- $2,500 Signing Bonus
- Applicants must have Texas FF and Paramedic certifications.
- Salary range: $67,431-$84,087.
Sign up to be notified of upcoming hiring events for certified and non-certified applicants.
Thank you for your interest in becoming a part of the McKinney Fire Department.
Who we are
- We are a progressive, innovative and critical-thinking organization.
- We promote and protect the health and safety of the community.
- We always consider what’s best for the community and search for better ways to serve.
- We strive for excellence in customer service.
Duties and Requirements
Under general supervision, the purpose of the position is to perform fire prevention, fire suppression, rescue duties and act as Firefighter-EMT / Paramedic. Employees in this classification perform highly skilled, technical level work. Position is responsible for providing life and property protection. Performs related work as required.
- Must be 21 years of age by date of hire.
- High school diploma or GED.
- 30 Semester hours of credit from an accredited college or university with a minimum GPA of 2.0.
- Minimum passing score 80%. (Applicants with an honorable discharge from the military as documented on the DD2-14 and who pass the written exam with a minimum passing score of 80% will receive an additional 5 points for military service.)
- Neither Basic Firefighter Certification nor EMT / Paramedic Certification are required to apply. Must successfully complete all pre-employment testing. Must obtain valid Texas Class B driver's license within sixty- (60) days of hire, possess a good driving record and maintain a good driving record while employed.
Tasks involve the ability to exert heavy physical effort in heavy work with greater emphasis on climbing and balancing and typically involving some combination of stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, and the lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of heavy objects and materials (up to 100 pounds); may occasionally involve heavier objects and materials (100 pounds and over).
Physical Ability Test
The Physical Ability Test is based on the EFFIGY CPAT test. There are seven events and the applicant will be required to wear a weighted vest and helmet during events #2 - #7.
- Event #1 - The applicant must climb a 100-foot aerial ladder, at full extension, touching the top rung with one hand. This portion of the test is not timed.
- Event #2 - The applicant must climb the drill tower steps a total of two times wearing an additional 25 pounds added to the applicant's vest.
- Event #3 - The applicant will drive a beam (ventilation sled) the distance of approximately 5 feet with an 8-pound sledgehammer.
- Event #4 - The applicant will drag a 200-foot, 1.75-inch fire hose a distance of 75 feet, make a 90 degree turn and continue dragging the hose an additional 25 feet. The applicant will drop to at least one knee and pull 50 feet of the hose into a marked box.
- Event #5 - The applicant will remove two saws from a cabinet, carry them 75 feet and return them to the cabinet.
- Event #6 - The applicant will lift a 24-foot extension ladder from the ground and walk it to an upright position; the applicant will extend and lower the fly section of a 24-foot extension ladder.
- Event #7 - The applicant will drag a mannequin 35 feet, around a drum, and back to the original starting point.
- Currently on probation or indictment for any criminal offense
- Other convictions will be considered case by case
- Discharge from the military under less than honorable conditions including:
- Bad Conduct
- Other than honorable condition
- Any other characterization of service indicating bad character
- An incomplete or falsified application
- An incomplete or falsified application questionnaire
- The recreational use of marijuana or marijuana substitute within the past 12 months.
- Illegal drug use (except marijuana) of any kind in the past ten years.
- Any illegal use of PCP or LSD regardless of time.
- Misuse of prescription medications (including illegal steroids) on a case by case basis.
- Intentional misuse of product on a case by case basis, i.e. tetraflouroethane (propellant in compressed air).
- Sale or distribution of any drug illegally regardless of time.
- Extensive use of any illegal drug will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Factors considered are a number of times, length of usage and lifestyle improvements.
- The Fire Department reserves the right to disqualify an applicant for any drug use regardless of the specific disqualifiers listed herein.
- Your driver's license is currently under suspension or revocation.
- You are not able to obtain a valid Class B Texas Driver's License.
- As of date of entrance exam, your driving record contains three or more moving violations or two at-fault vehicle accidents within the past two years.
- As of date of entrance exam, you've been convicted within the past three years of any of the following:
- DUI/DWI or other chemical substance-related driving
- Hit and Run
- Failure to stop and render aid at the scene of an accident
- Failure to disclose identification at the scene of an accident
- Negligent manslaughter involving a motor vehicle
- Excessive standard moving violations such as speeding, reckless driving, disregarding a traffic control signal, failure to signal, failure to keep right, following too close, etc.
McKinney is an Equal Opportunity Employer
If you would like more information, please email our Recruiting Officer.
- All candidates for employment as a Firefighter undergo an extensive pre-employment process.
- Once assigned to a fire station, each recruit firefighter must successfully complete a 12-month probationary period. The recruit is monitored and mentored by an assigned station officer. A Probationary Firefighter Task Book is provided to ensure skills meet standards of MFD. Recruit firefighters are tested on materials in the Task Book monthly, with progress documented and reported to the appropriate chief officer. Failure to successfully complete the probationary period is cause for termination.
- The City of McKinney is committed to equal employment opportunities (EEO) for all employees and applicants for employment, consistent with our core values. Discrimination against any person in recruitment, examination, appointment, training, promotion, discipline, pay, layoff or termination, or any other aspect of employment is prohibited. This includes discrimination on the basis of race/color, gender, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, religion, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. Retaliation, intimidation, coercion or harassment against any applicant for employment or employee who may file a complaint or grievance relative to this policy is strictly prohibited. Any employee who violates the provisions of this policy may be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.