Policies & Rules at Apex Centre
Apex Centre asks that all members and guests abide by our policies and guidelines while visiting the facility. You can see a list of some of our general guidelines at the links below.
Rules and guidelines are subject to change at the discretion of Apex Centre staff. Rules not listed here may apply.
Jump to Topic:
The Apex Centre and the City of McKinney are committed to providing a comfortable environment for our members and guests. Reservations for group exercise are still required and virtual options will still be offered.
Cleaning and Sanitizing
- All sanitizing and disinfectant products are EPA-approved / registered.
- Increased staffing levels assist with higher frequency of cleaning of high touch points in the facility.
- All members are required to wipe down the equipment they use with a sanitation wipe provided by the Apex Centre.
- If you have a cough, fever or symptoms of COVID-19, do not come to the facility until you are symptom-free and fever-free for three days without the use of medication.
- If you have tested positive for COVID-19 or have knowingly come in close contact with someone who has, we ask that you do not come to the facility for 14 days or until you test negative for COVID-19.
- No motorized vehicles are allowed in the entrance or walkway areas. All vehicles must be parked in the parking lot.
- Waivers are required for all guests entering the facility. If someone is under the age of 18, a parent or legal guardian must complete the waiver.
- Children 4 years of age or older are not permitted in the restrooms of the opposite sex. Family changing rooms are available on the lower level.
- Resident rates are available to those who live within the McKinney city limits according to property taxes. Proof of residency is required when registering.
- Registrations are on a first-come-first-serve basis, and participants are encouraged to register as early as possible. Registration deadline is the Friday before the class begins unless otherwise noted.
- If it is necessary to cancel a class because of inclement weather, the customer service staff will notify all participants at least one hour before class is scheduled to begin, unless otherwise noted. If a swim lesson is canceled, the aquatic staff will contact you within 24 hours to reschedule. Any group class missed will not be made up.
- When a class is canceled due to low enrollment or other circumstances, you will be offered a transfer to another class or receive a full refund. Participant-initiated refunds and transfers will only be granted when a participant a) submits a transfer or refund request at least five business days prior to the class start date, b) moves from the area and notifies the staff at least five business days prior to the class start date, c) becomes ill, in which a doctor’s statement must be presented upon request. If a refund / transfer is not requested to be applied to the merchandise or program within 90 days, the refund/transfer will be forfeited.
- Due to the large amount of information available in the guide and website, errors before or after publications may occur. We apologize for any errors and we will advise you of any changes as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience and understanding when these situations occur.
- All facility participants are expected to follow the rules of the facilities. Specialty areas of the facilities (example: fitness center and the pools) have posted signs stating special rules specific to that area. Disregard or abuse of facility rules may result in removal by staff or police from the facility for a designated length of time or permanently.
- Registrants and participants of programs and special events permit the City of McKinney to take photos and videos of themselves and their children for publication in the program brochure, website and additional uses as the city deems necessary unless the registrant or participant expressly files a written objection to the use of photos or videos of themselves and/or their children.
- Recreational activities/programs are intended to challenge and engage the physical, mental, and emotional resources of each participant. Despite careful and proper preparation, instruction, medical advice, conditioning, and equipment, there is still a risk of serious injury when participating in any recreational activity / program. Understandably, not all hazards and dangers can be foreseen. Depending on the particular activity, participants must understand that certain risks, dangers, and injuries due to inclement weather, slipping, falling, poor skill level or conditioning, carelessness, horseplay, unsportsmanlike conduct, premises defects, inadequate or defective equipment, inadequate supervision, instruction or officiating and all other circumstances inherent to indoor and outdoor recreational activities/programs exist. In this regard, it must be recognized that it is impossible for the City of McKinney to guarantee absolute safety.
- Since the Apex Centre is a family facility requires proper attire, shorts or pants, and proper footwear. If you are swimming, wear a family-oriented swimsuit with a lining. Cutoffs or undergarments are not considered appropriate swimwear. Footwear must be worn at all times in the Apex Centre. In the gym, on the fitness floor, and in the weight room, closed-toed shoes are required for safety.
- Coolers and outside food and beverages are permitted. However, glass containers and alcohol are not permitted inside the pools or facility. Chewing gum is not permitted inside the pools or facility. All coolers are checked at the entry points to the facility.
- The use of tobacco products is prohibited on Apex Centre property. This includes the use of e-cigarettes.
- Recording of any kind is prohibited in the restrooms or locker rooms.
- Stealing and destruction of personal or Apex Centre property is prohibited.
- Please be courteous and take calls outside of the fitness area.
- In the event of pool operation suspension due to inclement weather, you can have your receipt stamped for a rain check. You must have been present in the pool areas for less than two hours for the rain check policy to apply. Management reserves the right to suspend operation and / or close the pools at any time and initiate the rain check policy. If the indoor pool stays open while the outdoor pool closes, the raincheck policy will not apply.
- The pools will be closed when lightning occurs. If we are unable to reopen after thirty minutes, the pool will close and attempt to reopen later in the day. This policy is in effect until one hour prior to official closing time. This affects indoor and outdoor pool operations.
- Adults / guardians must be at least 16 years of age.
- Adults / guardians of children age 6 and under must be wearing a bathing suit and actively participating with their children in the pool at all times.
- Adults / guardians of children ages 7 to 9 years old must remain in the Indoor / Outdoor Aquatic Facility where their child is located at all times.
- All swimmers are required to take a cleansing shower before entering the pool.
- No running, diving, flips or horseplay of any kind.
- Use of cameras and/or video recording devices must have prior approval by management.
- Properly maintained swimsuits only. Denim, cut-off shorts, spandex, etc., are not allowed.
- Swim diapers are required for young children. Regular diapers are prohibited in the pool. Swim diapers are sold at the service desk.
- Anyone with open cuts, wounds, etc., is not permitted in the pool.
- Only U.S Coast Guard-approved floatation devices are permitted. The stamp must be clearly visible. No water wings, noodles or other floatation devices are allowed.
- Do not change children on deck. Please use provided family changing rooms.
- Do not spray / splash lifeguards on duty.
- Food and non-alcoholic drinks are allowed. No glass containers.
- Coolers are allowed but will be searched to ensure compliance with facility policy.
- Swim toys, snorkels, fins are prohibited. Masks cannot cover the nose.
- Adults / guardians are solely responsible for supervising children. Lifeguards are responsible for enforcing rules and regulations and emergency response.
- The City of McKinney is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- Staff reserves the right to enforce other rules as necessary to ensure the safety of our members and guests.
Water Slide Rules
- All riders must be at least 48” tall.
- Maximum rider weight is 300 pounds.
- Warning: Water depth is shallow.
- Non-swimmers are not permitted.
- All riders must ride feet first while lying on their back with arms crossed across their chest and ankles crossed. Do not go down slide headfirst. Do not sit up while riding the slide.
- All riders must enter the slide in a sitting position and wait for instructions from the lifeguard stationed at the starter tub.
- Do not propel yourself into the ride.
- Only one rider at a time. Absolutely no trains or chains of riders are permitted. Parents cannot ride with children in their lap.
- No running, standing, kneeling, rotating, tumbling or stopping in the flume. Ride on your back with your feet first. Arms and hands must remain inside the flume at all times. Riders should remain in proper riding positions until forward movement is terminated. At no time should the rider attempt to stand up while on the slide or prior to coming to a stop in the splash-out area.
- No tubes, mats or lifejackets are permitted on the waterslide.
- No combs or foreign objects are allowed in pockets and no jewelry, t-shirts or shoes are allowed. No cut-off jeans or swimwear with exposed zippers, buckles, rivets or metal ornamentation; only approved swimsuits allowed.
- Riders must be in good health. Elderly persons, those suffering from heart disease, high blood pressure, epilepsy or persons using prescription medication should consult with their physician before using the slide. Individuals with medical conditions including, but not limited to, pregnancy, heart or back problems should not ride.
- Do not use this slide while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- No diving from the slide.
- Leave the run-out area promptly after entering.
- Rider assumes all risk of injury due to misuse of this slide or failure to follow these rules.
- Staff reserves the right to enforce other rules as necessary to ensure the safety of our members and guests.
- Warning: Failure to follow rules can result in serious injury.
NinjaCross - A Hydro Course Xperience Requirements
- Ages 7+
- Minimum height 48 in.
- Must be able to swim in 7 feet deep water and 25 meters
- Maximum weight 275 lbs.
- Follow the directions of facility personnel at all times.
- Wait your turn prior to starting. Only 1 participant per obstacle set at a time. A maximum of 5 participants may be on a single lane at any one time. The minimum distance between participants shall be no less than 10 feet.
- Participants must start in the water, not on the pool deck.
- Diving, jumping, running, pushing, etc. is strictly prohibited.
- Participants to use the system solely at their own risk – this is a skill-based system and is meant to be challenging.
- Climbing obstacle cables, legs, or any other components on the system is strictly prohibited.
- Touching obstacle frame or support trusses, electronics, or any other components other than the obstacles is strictly prohibited.
- Climb the ropes or go through the obstacle frame. Do not try to hold onto the obstacle frame.
- Only use if you are capable of swimming and able to hold your breath underwater for 10 seconds or more.
- Use only under the supervision of a lifeguard or attendant.
- Swinging, leaping, jumping, or swimming in an adjacent lane is strictly prohibited.
- No standing on any obstacles above water level.
- If you fall on an obstacle, move on to the next obstacle.
- If you feel exhausted or weak, stop participation and swim out of the lane to the closest pool wall.
- Do not push, shove, or harass other guests – bullying will not be tolerated, and you will be asked to leave the facility.
- Participants must not wear a lifejacket, shoes (including swim shoes), loose jewelry, or other items of clothing that may get caught in obstacles.
- Lifeguards are responsible for the final determination of swim ability, age, and height according to the existing rules of the facility.
- Intoxicated persons are not allowed to use the system or operate the system.
- No spectators allowed in the designated safety area of the pool. The designated safety area is the four lanes of the pool containing the course. Additional safety areas may be added at the discretion of facility personnel at any time.
- Children under the age of 13 are not allowed on the fitness floor.
- Children over the age of 13 are allowed on the fitness floor. We encourage attending a fitness floor orientation prior to using the equipment.
- Please wipe down equipment after each use. You are an active participant in keeping our facility clean. Sanitation wipes are provided.
- Collars are mandatory for all barbell lifts.
- Spotters are required for all heavy lifting in the free weights area.
- Equipment may not be rearranged or removed.
- Equipment orientations are available and encouraged for first-time users. Appointments must be made in advance.
- Do not bang the weights together or drop them on the floor.
- Allow others to work in when doing multiple sets.
- Use of chalk is prohibited.
- Weights must be returned to appropriate racks after each use.
- Do not lean weights against equipment, walks or columns.
- Personal gym bags are not permitted in Fitness Area.
- Food, cups, glass or gum are not allowed. Water only allowed. Must be a spill-proof container.
- Proper attire must be worn at all times. Jeans, belts, clothing with rivets, wallet chains, sandals and open-toed shoes are prohibited.
- Only City of McKinney / Apex authorized personnel are allowed to conduct personal training in this facility. If members / outside trainers are caught abusing this policy, they will be asked to leave the facility immediately. Repeated abuse may revoke day pass or membership privileges.
- Limit cardio equipment usage to 30 minutes during peak times.
- Report equipment malfunctions or irregularities to fitness attendant immediately.
- Safe and proper use of equipment is required at all times.
- Use of inappropriate or foul verbal and/or body language is unacceptable at all times.
- Staff reserves the right to enforce other rules as necessary to ensure the comfort and safety of our guests.
- Please remember to put on and take off your cycle footwear on the mats next to the bike.
- Cycle shoes can damage the wood floors.
- The track length is 1/8 mile.
- Outside lanes are for running, inner lanes are for walking.
- Track direction changes daily. Please observe the correct direction for the day.
- Children under the age of 10 years must be accompanied by a supervising adult 16 years or older.
- Children under the age of 13 years can utilize the corners of the track while accompanied by a supervising adult 16 years or older.
- Non-marking athletic shoes are required for the track.
- Strollers are prohibited.
- Tobacco, food, chewing gum, glass bottles and cans are prohibited on the track. Water is allowed in a sealed plastic container.
- Please refrain from using mobile devices.
- Weights are prohibited unless supervised by an Apex Personal Training staff member.
- 1v1 will be allowed during all hours of operation.
- 5v5 full-court games will be allowed during the following times:
- Monday – Friday, 5 - 8 p.m.
- Saturday, Sunday & Holidays (including Summer), 12 - 5 p.m.
- Available hours may change based on recreation programs.
- Children under the age of 10 must be directly supervised by a person of 16 years or older.
- Dunking or hanging on the net or rim, nets and backboards are prohibited.
- Proper attire, including shorts, shirts, and non-marking gym shoes must be worn at all times. Bare feet, flip flops, sandals, dress shoes, etc., are prohibited.
- Equipment should be used in the manner that it was intended for. Tampering with equipment and / or kicking or throwing the balls against the walls, doors, windows, or ceiling is prohibited.
- No food or drink is allowed (with the exception of water in a plastic closed container only).
- Profanity, horseplay, and vulgar language are not allowed.
- The Apex Centre is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- Organized practices and training are not allowed in the gymnasium period. Rentals may take place in the gymnasium. See customer service desk for pricing and availability.
- Volleyball free play will be exclusively offered Mondays, 4:30 a.m. - 8 p.m. (unless otherwise noted).
- No personal training equipment (jump ropes, medicine balls, yoga mats, etc.) allowed in the gym during facility hours.
Any damage caused will result in a membership suspension of 30 days or more. For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 972-547-2739.
Pick-Up Game Rules
- Games will only be allowed on the East Side of the gym in consideration of the following times:
- Monday – Friday, 5 - 8 p.m.
- Saturday & Sunday, 12 - 5 p.m.
- Available hours may change based on recreation programs.
- Games can:
- Be played using the full east side.
- Consist of 10 or fewer players.
- Have a time limit of 10 minutes and will automatically end after 10 minutes.
- Be played as first come, first serve with winner stays (unless youth games are up next).
- Players must sign-up with an athletic assistant to play.
- Players cannot sign up a second time until after their first game has finished.
- The Playroom service is provided to our members without an additional charge.
- Children 3 months through 9 years are welcome to visit the babysitting room once a day for a maximum of two hours. The time limit of two hours is strictly enforced.
- Only a parent, legal guardian or designated person may drop-off and pick-up children in the Playroom, (the designated person is defined as a person who has been identified by parent; this can be a relative or friend who is a member). Parent and / or legal guardian MUST include the designated person on their registration form. Parent and/or guardian MUST be 18 years old or older
- Only parents or legal guardians who signed the child in can sign the child out. No exceptions.
- An Apex Centre membership card or valid ID is required for check-in / out of children. Parents will be required to note on the sign-in sheet what they will be doing in the facility. Children will not be allowed to leave the Playroom unless checked out by a parent / guardian / designated person.
- A parent / guardian must remain within the Apex facility at all times while their child is in the babysitting room. No exceptions. Individuals found to have left the building will lose their babysitting room privileges for 30 days. We do allow members to use the outdoor pool area, and / or participate in an on-site program that may be outside the grounds. Please notify a staff member if you plan to do so.
- Based on the age and number of children in each age group, there is a maximum number of children allowed in the Infant/Toddler room at any given time. If capacity is reached, you may leave a cell phone number with the Playroom staff members, and we will contact you as soon as a spot opens. The staff to child ratios that will be followed in the Playroom are:
- The ratio for children ages 3 to 11 months is 4:1.
- The ratio for ages 12 to 23 months is 5:1.
- The ratio for ages 2 to 3 years is 8:1.
- The ratio for ages 4 to 9 years is 10:1.
- Parents / guardians / designated persons are not allowed in the Playroom except in the area near check-in / out. Space permitting, parents may stay for up to 5 minutes in this area if they want to observe care.
- Photographs and video are not allowed in the Playroom.
- We are not responsible for any lost or stolen items from cubbies or other Playroom areas.
- Please do not bring personal items except those necessary for babysitting into the Playroom.
- Please do not bring toys from home. If your child has a special toy need or comfort item please inform the staff so we can do our best to accommodate that request as a necessary personal item for babysitting.
- Please do not bring any electronics from home.
- Please make sure that any necessary personal items are clearly marked with your child’s name. Pacifiers must be attached to the child’s clothing or car seat.
- As an hourly Playroom operation, no food or drink may be brought into the Playroom. If a child expresses thirst in the Playroom, we will provide water. Sippy cups for water are allowed for younger children. They must be labeled with your child’s name and stored by staff members.
- Staff members are unable to change diapers or assist with toileting. Please change your child prior to check-in. If your child needs a diaper change, the parent will be paged. Soiled diapers are to be changed immediately. If the parent does not have a diaper, the parent will be asked to check their child out of the playroom.
- For children out of diapers, please take your child to the restroom before leaving them in the Playroom. If the child is old enough, they can use the facilities without assistance. If the child requires assistance, we will notify the parent to assist them.
- Pacifiers must be attached to the child’s clothing or car seat.
- Please notify the staff of any allergies your child may have or any other health or physical limitations our staff should be aware of. Medication will not be allowed or administered by staff members.
- If a child cries for more than 10 minutes and the staff members have made every effort to soothe the child, the parent will be notified / paged.
- As a health standard and courtesy to others, parents are expected to adhere to the Sick Child Policy.
- All children are required to have their temperature checked before entering the playroom.
Sick Child Policy
We reserve the right to deny babysitting to members with children who are ill. A sick child is defined as a child who is contagious or infectious and poses a health risk to others. A child who is not able to participate in Playroom activities in reasonable comfort cannot be left in the care of the Playroom.
Please Do Not Bring Your Child to the Playroom
IF: Child has symptoms of possible communicable disease (usually sniffles, red eyes, sore throat, headache, abdominal pain, fever, and/or skin spots, bumps or patches).
IF: Child requires more care than our staff can provide without compromising the health and safety of other children.
The following are sick child symptoms. We cannot accept children in the Playroom with these symptoms:
- Child has a fever of 99 degrees or higher.
- Child has vomited within the past 24 hours.
- Child has had a watery stool in the past 24 hours.
- New onset of any kind of rash within the first 3-4 days of its occurrence. The child has a rash not associated with diapers.
- Child has a sore throat and / or swollen glands causing difficulty in swallowing. Strep Throat is contagious if left untreated. A child may attend the Playroom 24 hours after the 1st dose of antibiotics for this or other bacterial infections.
- Child has any pox due to Chicken Pox.
- Child has any green or yellow mucous coming from the nose regardless of the use of antibiotics.
- Child has significant respiratory distress (a constant cough).
- Child has unexplained lethargy.
- Child with untreated and / or contagious lice, ringworm, or scabies.
- Child has a fever of 99 degrees or higher. They will not be allowed back into the playroom unless they have been fever-free for 24 hours.
If a child comes in with any of these symptoms we will ask you to wait to use the Playroom until after the symptoms have been resolved. If staff observes any of these symptoms during the child’s visit, the parent will be asked to remove the child. If the child is without any of these symptoms but still seems ill, the parent will be asked to remove the child.
To address behavioral issues, we will implement the use of “time-outs” for children two years of age and older. Activity redirection will be used for children younger than two. We will contact parents if the child’s behavior needs attention for longer than 10 minutes. If behavioral issues continue after 3 attempts of correction, the child will be suspended from the playroom a minimum of 30 days.
Potential penalties for Playroom Room Misuse
Two-hour maximum stay
- Late pick up. If you pick your child up later than the time permitted for use, we will, after the third time, suspend your Playroom privileges for 30 days.
- The McKinney Police Department may be notified if the child is in the Playroom for more than 2 hours and we cannot locate the parent.
- Future use of the Playroom may be revoked.
Parents Leaving The Apex Centre
- The McKinney Police Department may be notified if the parent leaves the premises.
- Future Playroom privileges will be revoked for a minimum of 30 days. Privileges may be permanently revoked if repeated offenses.
Please note: Future Playroom privileges may be revoked if your child causes severe interruptions while in the Playroom.
Potential Parental Notifications
A parent’s stay at the Apex Centre may be interrupted for the following reasons:
- A child is in need of a diaper change or toileting assistance. If the parent does not have a diaper, the parent will be asked to check their child out of the playroom.
- A child is crying for more than 10 minutes and the staff members have made every effort to soothe the child.
- A child is not following instructions from staff members and / or the child’s behavior needs attention for longer than 10 minutes.
- A child’s stay exceeds the 2-hour limit. (2 hours per day maximum).
- Staff members determine the child is sick.
- Staff members determine the child is in need of a parent.
General Facility Reservation Information
- Reservations may be booked online (where applicable) or in person at each Facility (see website for details).
- All reservations must be booked at least thirty (30) days in advance. Any reservation booked less than thirty (30) days in advance will require Facility Manager/Supervisor approval.
- A security deposit, as detailed herein, is required at the time of reservation. The deposit is a separate fee and does NOT apply towards the reservation fees. If there are no damages to the areas rented, and all policies have been followed, the deposit(s) will be returned within thirty (30) days following the date of reservation.
- The Reservation Period includes both set-up and clean-up time. User is responsible for all Reservation Area set-up and clean-up. Cleaning supplies are provided. All trash must be taken to the Facility’s outdoor dumpster (if applicable). Any appliances utilized by User must be left clean and in good working condition.
- Limited gym / room / pool times are available for rent.
- Each conference room comes with a standard number of chairs and tables. All tables are rectangular or round.
- Reservations are not confirmed or scheduled until the City receives full payment of all reservation fees and security deposits (if applicable). A written cancellation notice signed by User must be received at least thirty (30) days prior to the scheduled event in order for User to receive a full refund minus a service charge. Failure to give at least thirty (30) days written cancellation notice will result in the reservation fee being forfeited in full.
- Full reservation policies will be provided at the time of booking.