Research Center - Library
Available at the Library and Remotely
These resources are available at the library and remotely from home, office or mobile device. Call the library at 972-547-7323 for login information for remote access.
Jump to Topic:
Education / Training
- LearningExpress Library - Online practice tests and interactive skill-building tutorials.
- Texas Driver’s License Practice Tests - Car, motorcycle, and CDL practice tests, with online driver’s manuals
- TExES Test Preparation Manuals - Up to date TExES study materials endorsed by the Texas Education Agency
- Tuition Funding Sources - Scholarships, college, and career information.
Free Language Learning Resources
- Duolingo - Takes a game-like approach to learning, and has apps for iOS and Android. Offers 36 languages.
- GCFLearnFree - Learn new words, review grammar, or learn to speak English. Also offers tutorials on technology and core skills, career planning, and job searching.
- Headstart2 Defense Language Institute - A government service offering over 40 languages, with interactive lessons with maps, images, sound, and cultural notes.
- Innovative Language - Offers over 30 languages; also has apps for iOS and Android.
- Internet Polyglot - Extensive exercises for learning words and their pronunciation. Offers 34 languages.
- Omniglot - An online encyclopedia of writing systems and languages, with links to resources for specific languages, most of which are free.
- Streema - Offers free TV streaming from over 100 countries around the world in nearly as many languages.
- USA Learns - Learn English speaking, listening, vocabulary, pronunciation, reading, writing and grammar.
- Ancestry.com - Available only at McKinney Public Libraries. Resources for the family researcher, including U.S. Census, Social Security Death Index, and birth, marriage and death records
- HeritageQuest Online - Billions of census records, family histories, military and bank records, and access to Periodical Source Index Archive. Available through TexShare; call the library at 972-547-7323 for login access.
- Library Genealogy page
- Newspapers.com - World Collection - Search historical newspapers (1700s–2000s) from across the United States and beyond. Explore newspaper articles and clippings for help with genealogy, history and other research. Logon with your library card number.
- Beanstack - Book recommendations and online reading logs for young readers
- cloudLibrary - Downloadable eBooks and eAudiobooks. Log on with your library card number and password. Forgot your password?
- NextReads - Receive emailed newsletters of new titles by subject and annotated by librarians.
- NoveList - Find books that match your reading style. Log on with your library card number.
- Salem Press Online - Online versions of books in literature, history, science, and health. Log on with your library card number.
- Storyline Online - Free streaming free videos featuring celebrated actors reading children’s books alongside creatively produced illustrations.
- Auto Repair Source - Service and repair information for thousands of domestic and imported vehicles. Log on with your library card number.
- Credo Reference - Reference resource in all subject areas, including encyclopedias, videos, photographs and maps. Choose McKinney Public Library and log on with your library card number.
- Gale OneFile: Health and Medicine - Full text of nursing and health journals. Log on with your library card number.
- Reference Solutions - Information on businesses and people specifically designed for small business owners, marketing professionals, researchers and job seekers. Helps users create marketing plans, conduct competitive analysis, raise funds and locate people. Log on with your library card number.
- Reference Solutions Webinars - How to use Reference Solutions; search essentials; research for starting, managing, and growing businesses; job seeking and career search strategies.
- TexShare (Library of Texas) - Magazine and newspaper articles, homework help, books and literature databases, health, business and genealogical information. Call the library at 972-547-7323 for login access.